Ila Patnaik writing for the mass media
My writings in the Indian Express and the Financial Express.
- Looking like a recovery, Financial Express 20 December 2013
- Cereal offenders, Indian Express 17 December 2013
- What 2014 won't change, Indian Express 26 November 2013
- Inflation-targeting is critical, Financial Express 25 November 2013
- Trial by taper, Indian Express 13 November 2013
- Respite as opportunity, Indian Express 24 October 2013
- Rajan vs RBI, Financial Express 22 October 2013
- Forming new bonds, Indian Express 16 October 2013
- A focus for the RBI, Indian Express 24 September 2013
- Reverse liquidity tightening, Financial Express 19 September 2013
- Some RBI dos and don'ts, Indian Express 18 September 2013
- The road ahead for Rajan, Financial Express 5 September 2013
- Fighting the taper, Indian Express 3 September 2013
- Reform chance for new Indian governor, OMFIF 30 August 2013
- The needless battle, Indian Express 19 August 2013
- India Inc hedges its bets, Financial Express 16 August 2013
- Raghuram Rajan takes helm at difficult time, OMFIF 7 August 2013
- Whose monetary policy?, Indian Express 5 August 2013
- Does India need sovereign bonds?, Financial Express 24 july 2013
- The taming of the rupee, Financial Express 12 july 2013
- Losing currency, Indian Express 10 July 2013
- How to cap the CAD, Financial Express 28 june 2013
- Don't try to control the rupee, Financial Express 21 june 2013
- Modi's food security test, Indian Express 14 June 2013
- Can't bank on it, Indian Express 04 June 2013
- Stick to the line of control, Financial Express 27 May 2013
- How do you prevent rupee trades?, Financial Express 10 May 2013
- Some chit chat, Indian Express 08 May 2013
- Growth pick-up still a mirage, Financial Express 30 April 2013
- China's rebalancing act, Indian Express 30 April 2013
- Selling it right, Indian Express 11 April 2013
- Turf war in the offing, Financial Express 26 March 2013
- Caps unlock, Indian Express 20 March 2013
- Budget has two faces, Indian Express 5 March 2013
- In the shadow of the
deficit, Indian Express 26 February 2013
- Can't figure it away,
Indian Express 12 February 2013
- Right hand, left hand,
Indian Express 5 February 2013
- Reform, then
remove SST, Financial Express 28 January 2013
- Bank for the buck,
Indian Express 24 January 2013
- A finer balance,
Indian Express 10 January 2013
- Why reforms aren't lifting growth, Financial Express 28 December 2012
- It's Delhi's move, Indian Express 27 December 2012
- Watch out for capital flow via trade, Financial Express 20 December 2012
- Open and shut,
Indian Express 13 December 2012
- Identify this,
Indian Express 3 December 2012
- Growing pains,
Indian Express 16 November 2012
- Governance 2.0,
Indian Express 7 November 2012
easing won't lift investment, Financial Express 24 October 2012
- One head is
better than many, Indian Express 16 October 2012
- What is regulation for?,
Indian Express 4 October 2012
- Towards better financial regulation,
Financial Express 2 October 2012
- In the mood for reform,
Indian Express 17 September 2012
- Sovereign warning,
Indian Express 7 September 2012
- RBI is
fighting the right battle, Financial Express 1 September 2012
- The emerging
slowdown, Indian Express 31 August 2012
challenge, Financial Express 23 August 2012
- North un-Block, 8 August 2012
- Smoke and numbers, 31 July 2012
- Towards climate change,
19 July 2012
- Losing the balance,
6 July 201 2
- A new focus for policy,
Financial Express 23 June 2012
- Cut can hurt, 21 June 2012
- No Shortcuts for RBI,
Financial Express 15 June 2012
- Step out of the
way, 13 June 2012
- Don't look, leap, 25 May
- RBI can't save the rupee,
Financial Express 17 May 2012
- Rollback to
forward, 8 may 20 12
- This isn't 1991, 30 April 2012
- What was RBI
thinking?, Financial Express 24 April 2012
- Risky business, 11 April 2012
- The Gold Tax,
27 March 2012. kw- gold import duty, loan-to-value ratio, gold loans.
- How not to disinvest,
15 March 2012. kw- ongc disinvesment.
- Unburdening RBI, Financial
Express 9 March 2012. kw- DMO bill.
- Right facts, wrong conclusions,
Financial Express 23 February 2012. kw- rbi intervention,
- Costly mistake,
20 February 2012. kw- private corporate investment.
- Systems beyond silos,
Financial Express 11 February 2012. kw- systemic risk
regulation in India.
- The RBI's self-serving bid,
31 January 2012. kw- unified regulator.
- UID as user's ID,
28 January 2012. kw- UID for delivery of public services.
- Not just their roll call,
20 January 2012. kw- PISA results.
- Reserve Bank, refocus,
28 December 2011. kw- inflation.
- Stop controlling,
19 December 2011. kw- controls on derivatives.
- Zones of scepticism,
8 December 2011. kw- banks and the state.
- Floating on the rupee,
23 November 2011. kw- rupee depreciation.
- Lessons from afar,
18 November 2011. kw- governance in Italy.
- Questions in reserve,
8 November 2011. kw- international demand for reserves.
- Save the cash,
25 October 2011. kw- foreign exchange reserves, raw material sources.
- Three balancing acts,
17 October 2011. kw- global recovery.
- Better not step in,
3 October 2011. kw- currency intervention.
- Don't defend the rupee, RBI ,
Financial Express, 24 September 2011. kw- currency
- Watch like a hawk,
21 September 2011. kw- inflationary expectations.
- Floating concerns,
12 September 2011. kw- exports, exchange rate of the rupee.
- A 10 percent safeguard,
1 September 2011. kw- guidelines for private banks.
- As the debt piles up...,
Financial Express, 13 August 2011. kw- US debt.
- Number casting,
11 August 2011. kw- US downgrade.
- Liberalisation 2.0,
2 August 2011. kw- 20 years of reform.
- Government pushing welfare measures more
than reforms, Financial Express
24 July 2011. kw- welfare state.
- Wages of a quick fix,
21 July 2011. kw- NREGA wages.
- Turn in the India story,
11 July 2011. kw- institutional change.
- Fuelling a transition,
29 June 2011. kw- fuel prices.
- The percentage game,
20 June 2011. kw- credit policy.
- The colour of evasion,
8 June 2011. kw- black money, GST.
- Who is investing now?,
30 May 2011. kw- investment slowdown.
- Deflated credibility,
19 May 2011. kw- target inflation, credibility.
- The message is the aim,
6 May 2011. kw- monetary policy.
- Not by rate hikes alone,
27 April 2011. kw- target inflation.
- A bad time to lose control,
16 April 2011. kw- effectiveness of capital controls.
- Liberate by growth,
5 April 2011. kw- child sex ratio.
- We've come a long way,
26 March 2011. kw- emerging markets.
- Moving with the cycle,
14 March 2011. kw- macroeconomic policy.
- A new opening act,
2 March 2011. kw- budget 2011, capital account convertibility,
corporate debt, retail foreign investors.
- Why growth matters,
19 February 2011. kw- budget 2011, fiscal deficit.
- Cannot trust that IIP data, ,
Financial Express, 19 February 2011. kw- IIP, capital goods.
- Indexing inflation,
11 February 2011. kw- CPI, WPI, inflation measures.
- Greasing our shock absorbers,
3 February 2011. kw- capital inflows, currency market liquidity,
- Making sense of capital flows, ,
Financial Express, 29 January 2011. kw- short term loans,
- The onion's layers,
13 January 2011. kw- agricultural reform, fiscal consolidation,
- So much they don't know, 3
January 2011. kw- rbi research agenda.
- Causes and no effects, 25
December 2010. kw- inflationary expectations.
- Going around in circles, ,
Financial Express, 20 December 2010. kw- tight liquidity.
- The European scare, 9
December 2010. kw- soverign debt in Europe.
- Consumed by America, 29
November 2010. kw- Monetary expansion in US, US employment, dollar
- Sailing past QE2, 11
November 2010. kw- Monetary expansion in US, QE2, currency appreciation.
- Pegged to the present, 29
October 2010. kw- Chinese exchange rate regime.
- Where has all the investment gone?,
Financial Express, 23 October 2010. kw- projects announced,
production of capital goods, profit growth.
- Current account caution, 8
October 2010. kw- current account deficit.
- Anchoring expectations,
Financial Express, 18 September 2010. kw- infaltionary
expectations, consensus forecast.
- Wages of inflation, 17
September 2010. kw- inflationary expectations, wage-price spiral,
- The two-decade gap, 6
September 2010. kw- U.K Sinha report, capital controls, QFI framework.
- Food for thought,
Financial Express, 28 August 2010. kw- core inflation,
seasonally adjusted inflation.
- Shampoo and social equality,
Financial Express, 15 August 2010. kw- dalit, economic reforms.
- All the way to the bank, 14
August 2010. kw- RBI discussion paper on entry of new banks.
- Let's talk about inflation, 9
August 2010. kw- inflation targeting.
- Transmission lines, 26
July 2010. kw- inflation targeting.
- Behind the curve?,
Financial Express, 24 July 2010. kw- inflation, IIP growth.
- The Mauritius code, 12
July 2010. kw- residence based taxation, DTAA.
controls and unhedged currency exposure, India Policy
Forum, NCAER ,29
June 2010. kw- currency mismatches, exchange rate policy.
- Gaining currency, 24
June 2010. kw- Chinese yuan regime.
- Future's rupees, 5
June 2010. kw- Rupee volatility.
- BSST in class, 24
May 2010. kw- BRIC vs BSST.
- Really the heat isn't on,
Financial Express, 22 May 2010. kw- inflation, IIP growth.
- Soon there will be one, 3
May 2010. kw- ULIPs, SEBI, IRDA, super regulator.
- It's either inflation or exchange
Financial Express, 24 April 2010. kw- monetary policy,
exchange rate pass-through, rupee appreciation.
- Appreciate the positive, 12
April 2010. kw- monetary policy, inflation, interest rate hike,
- The living debt, 1
April 2010. kw- fiscal consolidation, frbm, Thirteenth Finance
- Rates of little return, 18
March 2010. kw- inflation, interest rates, monetary conditions,
exchange rate passthrough.
- The four fold promise, 27
February 2010. kw- budget 2010, Financial Stability and Develpment
Council (FSDC), Financial Sector Legislative Reforms Commission
(FSLRC), private bank licenses.
- Expenditure refrom,
Financial Express, 21 February 2010. kw- expenditure reform,
- Devil is in the roadmap, 19
February 2010. kw- decade of 2010, budget 2010, reform blueprint.
- Reading the recovery, 3
February 2010. kw- growth, fiscal policy, budget 2010.
- Too early to signal an exit, 19
January 2010. kw- growth, fiscal policy, monetary policy, exit stimulus.
- Bihar's Big-thinking Babu, 16
January 2010. kw- N K Singh, parliament, Bihar.
- Lapping up liquidity, 4
January 2010. kw- crr hike, monetary policy, interest rates.
- To hell and back,
Financial Express, 27 December 2009. kw- recession, global
financial crisis, India in 2009.
- There are no easy answers, 18
December 2009. kw- monetary policy, interest rates.
- Shifting gears, Financial Express, 7 December 2009. kw-
car sales, imports.
- Tobin tax is only for
textbooks, Financial Express, 21 November 2009. kw-
capital flows, tobin tax.
- Seasoning the stock, 18
November 2009. kw- privatisation, psus.
- Pick apart this
myth, 4 November 2009. kw- bank nationalisation, financial inclusion.
- Mrs G and the licence
permit raj, Financial Express, 2 November 2009. kw- psu banks, labour laws.
- Green roots of recovery, 15
October 2009. kw- export promotion, rupee appreciation.
- This is no time for
rate hike, Financial Express, 9 October. kw- monetary
policy easing, growth, exchange rate, inflation.
- The good news analysed
better, Financial Express, 5 October. kw- business cycle
conditions, seasonally adjusted data.
- Valuing the dollar, 1
October 2009. kw- weakening dollar, rupee appreciation.
in Hand (with Ajay Shah and Shruthi Jayaram), Financial Express, 21 September. kw- business
cycles in India, decoupling.
- No one like us, 31
August 2009. kw- global financial crisis, lessons.
- On different scales, 17
August 2009. kw- monetary policy, food price inflation.
- Find the side effects, 10
August 2009. kw- health policy, sanitation, NREGA.
- The good news on exports you
didn't know, Financial Express, 6 August. kw- seasonally
- RBI has got to do it,
Financial Express, 3 August. kw- demand contraction,
investment, exports, government spending.
- Wait, watch the
uncertainty, 27 July 2009. kw- demand contraction, investment,
- Investment trends at the state
level, 7 July 2009. kw- CAPEX, state level investment.
- The free fertiliser solution, Financial
Express, 26 June 2009. kw- monsoon, free fertiliser,
- Keep the rupee rolling, Financial
Express, 22 June 2009. kw- Capital inflows, exchange rate policy.
- The GST of it, Financial
Express, 13 June 2009. kw- Goods and Services Tax.
- Set the campus free, 2
June 2009. kw- higher education, university ranking.
- Mind that debt, 25 May
2009. kw- expenditure, fiscal deficit, debt GDP ratio.
- What you must not do,
ministers, Financial Express, 23 May 2009. kw-
government schemes, delivery of public goods, SSA.
- The flexibility
bonus, Financial Express, 11 May 2009. kw- exports in
yuan, China, India, yuan, rupee exchange rates.
- Dated data, poor
policy, Financial Express, 21 April 2009. kw-
inflation, year-on-year, month-on-month, monetary policy.
- Retail therapy, 20 April
2009. kw- sudden stop, outflow of capital.
in the Great Recession, Financial Express, 15 April
2009. kw- slowdown, investment ratio, private corporate
investment, economic reform.
- Now there are twenty, 4
April 2009. kw- G20, international financial supervision,
protectionism, IMF reforms.
- Recipe for investment
shortfall,Financial Express, 16 March 2009. kw-
consumption ratio, investment ratio, public investment, private
corporate investment, household investment.
- Twenty parts to a rescue, 14
March 2009. kw- G20, international financial supervision,
protectionism, IMF reforms.
- Sunlight on the ledger, 20
February 2009. kw- fiscal deficit, debt management office(DMO).
- When up is down,
Financial Express, 9 February 2009. kw- inflation,
year-on-year, month-on-month, deflation.
- Give them credit, 9
February 2009. kw- FSAP, Financial sector assessment programme.
- Governor's choice, 23
January 2009. kw- credit policy, interest rates.
- State of the blackboard, 13
January 2009. kw- right to education.
- Capital ideas, 5
January 2009. kw- NRI funds, private equity, corporate bonds.
- Global economy: unknown to
known, Financial Express, 22 December 2008. kw-
- The fiscal and the meta-fiscal, 8
December. kw- fiscal stimulus and fiscal space.
- Foreign institutional investors,
Financial Express, 24 November 2008. kw- stock market
crash, fii net sales.
- Keep the money moving, 17
November. kw- fiscal expansion, NREGS, infrastructure.
- Clear as liquid, 4
November. kw- RBI package, credibility, transparency,
- The world is what it is, 21
October. kw- global crisis, next step, solvency crisis, liquidity crisis.
- Let the rupee be, 13
October. kw- global crisis, liquidity crunch, rupee depreciation.
- An agenda for difficult
times, 30 September. kw- reduce capital controls, liquidity crunch.
- Hope it will float, 8
September. kw- rupee float, exports, imports, currency futures.
- It's turbulent, Dr Subbrao,
Financial Express, 2 September 2008. kw- RBI governor,
financial sector reform.
- The Thursday syndrome, 21 August
2008. kw- seasonally adjusted inflation rate, monetary policy.
- Pricing the rupee, 28 July
2008. kw- monetary policy, currency pegging.
- In the balance,
Financial Express, 8 July 2008. kw- balance of payments,
capital inflows .
- Central bank
misrules, 3 July 2008. kw- macroeconomic mismangament,
- Shoot inflation, spare
growth, Financial Express, 21 June 2008. kw-
industrial slowdown, monetary policy.
- What price
people, 13 June 2008. kw- inflation, MSS bonds.
- In the number
soup, 2 June 2008. kw- inflation report.
- Engineering inflation, 31
May 2008. kw- exchange rate pass-through, inflation.
impossible, Financial Express, 16 May 2008. kw-
Raghram Rajan Committee, inflation-targeting.
- China does not show
the way, 15 May 2008. kw- democracy, sterilised intervention,
- The nineties nightmare, 6
May 2008. kw- rising interest rates, CRR, credit growth,
- RBI's 79 page
misreading, Financial Express, 30 April 2008. kw-
credit poicy, sterilised intervention.
- Let the rupee climb,
21 April 2008. kw- inflation, foreign exchange intervention.
- Unmade in America,
Financial Express, 21 April 2008. kw- credit policy,
inconsistent monetary policy framework.
- Redraft the policy
framework, Financial Express, 8 April 2008. kw-
Raghuram Rajan report on financial sector reforms.
- A capital idea, 8 April
2008. kw- capital controls, Q3 2007-08 Balance of Payments.
- How RBI imported high
prices, 4 April 2008. kw- inflation, rupee depreciation, RBI
- And Bihar still does not get
it, 28 March 2008. kw- capex investment, per capita investment
- Engineering of the
rupee, 12 March 2008. kw- rupee depreciation, RBI intervention.
- Time to either cut or
run, Financial Express, 6 March 2008. kw- GDP growth,
IIP growth, interest rates.
- The Plan expenditure
fixation, Financial Express, 29 February 2008. kw-
revenue expenditure, capital expenditure, plan expenditure,
- No free lunches
here, 28 February 2008. kw- fiscal deficits, interest payments.
- Understatement is not a
virtue, 26 February 2008. kw- fiscal transparency, true fiscal
deficit, oil bonds, food bonds, fertilizer bonds.
- Home is where the dollar goes, 14
February 2008. kw- remittances, interest differentials, net capital flows.
- Bankers without borders, 9
February 2008. kw- monetary policy framework, capital flows.
- How to be ordinary, 29
January 2008. kw- countercylical policy, credit policy.
- Fewer degrees of
freedom, Financial Express, 29 January 2008. kw- credit
policy, slowdown, capital inflows, capital surge, interest
- And we all fall down, 22
January 2008. kw- Fed rate cuts, stock market.
- Cut rates now, 17
January 2008. kw- IIP, slowdown, capital inflows, capital surge,
- Do capital
controls work?, 7 January 2008. kw- Balance of payments, capital
inflows, capital surge, other capital flows.
- The case for cutting
rates, Financial Express, 28 December 2007. kw - Repo and
reverse repo rate cut, capital controls, rupee appreciation.
- RBI must do a Fed, 14
December 2007. kw - Fed rate cut, capital controls, rupee
rebalancing, Financial Express, 30 November 2007. kw -
US slowdown, Chinese macroeconomic policies.
- Oiling the economy, 26
November 2007. kw - crude oil prices, oil at hundred, rupee
- Aam aadmi in the hot
seat, 16 November 2007. kw - CPI, WPI, inflation, money supply,
- Surge and the rupee, 6 November 2007. kw - rupee appreciation, RBI intervention, one way bet.
- The fuss about credit
policy, 30 October 2007. kw - credit policy, sterilized
- Nothing durable about
it, Financial Express, 25 October 2007. kw - CPI consumer
- Dangers of a one-way bet,
23 October 2007. kw - banning participatory notes, fii inflows, rbi
- Go with the flow, 18 October
2007. kw - banning participatory notes, capital account convertibility.
- Figure of nine, 11 October
2007. kw - US recession, Indian exports of goods and services.
- India's growth prospects,
Financial Express, 27 September 2007. kw - medium term growth
in India, investment, labour supply.
- The not so good news on
inflation, 26 September 2007. kw - inflation, CPI, WPI, cost of
- Fed in or fade out, 21
September 2007. kw - stock market, US Fed rate cut.
- Haryana hurricane, 19
September 2007. kw - CAPEX data, states, investment, projects under
- What has the rupee got to do
with it?, 7 September 2007. kw - exports, REER.
- Taxing times, good times,
22 August 2007. kw - tax revenue, corporate taxes.
- The fear index, 22 August
2007. kw - housing, US subprime market.
- Comparing monetary policies, Financial Express, 23 August 2007. kw - India, China,
currency, interest rates.
- Subprime mindset, 18 August
2007. kw - housing, US subprime market.
- Dollar doldrums, 6 August
2007. kw - currency policy, monetary policy, sterlised intervention.
- Grand ideas and gritty
detail, Financial Express, 5 August 2007. kw - N K
Singh, Politics of Change: A Ringside View
- How is your risk appetite
today?, 2 August 2007. kw - US subprime market.
- Policy without framework,
27 July 2007. kw - repo rate, reverse repo rate, LAF.
- India's untenable currency
policy, Financial Express, 26 July 2007. kw - rupee,
pegged exchage rate.
- Let us waste 0.5 percent of
GDP, 18 July 2007. kw - export sops, rupee appreciation.
- The Mistry report mystery, Financial Express, 29 June 2007. kw - Mumbai,
International Financial Centre, MIFC.
- Some house truths, 8 June
2007. kw - housing market, real estate bubble.
- Get real about the impossible
trinity, Financial Express, 24 May 2007. kw - ECB.
- Poor Distribution System, 24 May
2007. kw - public distribution system.
- The taming of the rupee,
10 May 2007. kw - currency policy.
- Making monetary policy
more effective, Financial Express, 25 April 2007. kw - credit policy.
- Monetary mix-up, 2 April
2007. kw - monetary policy, sterlised intervention.
- Quiet trouble in West
Bengal, Financial Express, 28 March 2007. kw - West Bengal
- Only 3.5 percent
matters, 28 March 2007. kw - banking regulation
- A fresh mandate for
RBI, 20 March 2007. kw - monetary policy, interest rates, REER,
- Percentage game, 12 March
2007. kw - Taylor rule, interest rates, inflation.
- Growth story in volatile
times, 9 March 2007. kw - India growth, US business cycles,
- PC delivers politically
correct, 1 March 2007. kw - Budget 2007, fiscal deficit,
- Fiscal tightening must do its
part, 21 February 2007. kw - Petrol, diesel, inflation, fiscal
deficit, government expenditure.
- Taking an interest in
credit, 2 February 2007. kw - Monetary policy, interest rates, inflation.
- Look what's on the menu at
Neemrana, 27 January 2007. kw - Applied economic research in
India, NCAER NBER Neemrana conference.
- Good intentions need a
solid backbone, Financial Express, 24 January 2007. kw -
- Special Zone called India, 20 January
2007. kw - Special economic zones.
- Inflation at 2-year high, 20 January
2007. kw - inflation, interest rates.
- Futures in the market, 6 January
2007. kw - commodity futures.
- Inflationary pressure may
up interest rates, 2 January 2007. kw - inflation, real interest
- GDP growth in 2007, 1 January
2007. kw - GDP growth.
- Infrastructure: theirs
and ours, 22 December 2006. kw - rural infrastructure report, NCAER.
- Combination lock to
recombination unlock, Financial Express, 26 December 2006. kw -
banking, China, India.
- Really, consumer is
queen, 16 December 2006. kw - consumption, China, India.
- Trickle down economics is good for health, 24 November
2006. kw - GDP growth, infant mortality, public health services.
- Hindi Chini FTA, 22 November
2006. kw - India China FTA.
- The man who helped millions
escape poverty, Financial Express, 21 November
2006. kw - Milton Friedman.
- Micro Scope, 11 November
2006. kw - Microfinance, India, SHGs.
- Four per cent tips,
11 November 2006. kw - Inflation, Central banking.
- Trust and television, Financial Express, 7 November
2006. kw - trust, television, social capital.
- New path or alleyway, 26 October
2006. kw - NHAI, Model Concession Agreement.
- Don't loosen the purse
strings, Financial Express, 10 October 2006. kw - GDP growth, FRBM.
- To sustain GDP growth, 30
September 2006. kw - GDP growth.
- Just where is the world economy
headed, 24 October 2006. kw - US GDP growth, housing, business
- China should worry about its
high savings, Financial Express, 26 September 2006. kw - Savings rate.
- India China
hype?, 23 September 2006. kw - IMF-World Bank Annual meetings,
RBI, capital account covertibility, CAC-2.
- The inevitability of
capital account convertibility, 19 September 2006. kw -
IMF-World Bank Annual meetings, India, China, currency flexibility,
RBI, capital account covertibility, CAC-2.
- FDI lessons from
China, 18 September 2006. kw - IMF-World Bank Annual meetings,
FDI in China, SEZ.
- The future of the World
Bank in India, 17 September 2006. kw - IMF-World Bank Annual
meetings, World Bank, failed states.
- World Bank report
slams India on governance, 16 September 2006. kw - IMF-World
Bank Annual meetings, Governance Indicators.
- The India China
story, 15 September 2006. kw - IMF-World Bank Annual meetings,
India, China, growth.
- Explained: Regional Trade
Agreements, 15 September 2006. kw - regional trade agreements.
- Paisa wise, Rupee foolish, 4
September 2006. kw - RBI, capital account covertibility, CAC-2.
- Chidambaram vs
Ahluwalia,Financial Express, 29 August 2006. kw - FRBM,
social sector spending.
- How to solve the RBI
problem, 22 August 2006. kw - RBI, monetary policy, banking
- Eleventh approach to
the same plan?, 15 August 2006. kw - eleventh plan, public
health, education vouchers.
- Taming the
Express, 15 August 2006. kw - GDP volatility, countercylical
policy, RBI, monetary policy.
- How the plot thickens, 2
August 2006. kw - land acqusition, eminent domain, SEZ.
- The importance of being fiscally
responsible, Financial Express, 1 August 2006. kw - FRBM,
current account deficits, default.
- The high risks in high
deficits, 27 July 2006. kw - FRBM, inflation, current account
- First payoff to structural
pension reform, 22 July 2006. kw - Sixth Pay Commission, New
- Economic growth best
antidote to poverty, Financial Express, 18 July 2006. kw
- South Asia, poverty, growth.
- As Buddha tries to put house in
order, VS courts fiscal irresponsibility, 10 July 2006. kw -
State budgets, Kerala, West Bengal.
- India's ailing public health
Express, 4 July 2006. kw - Eleventh plan approach paper.
- End of Distress, 1 July
2006. kw - farmer suicides, agricultural policy.
- To fund welfare, 24 June 2006. kw -
- Bad Economics Zones, 21 June
2006. kw - FRBM, SEZs.
- Looking for a better
consumer price index, Financial Express, 20 June 2006. kw
- WPI, CPI, inflation measures.
- Taxes by the litre, 13
June 2006. kw - petroleum taxes.
- The destabilizing foreign hand,
Financial Express, 6 June 2006. kw - FIIs, stock markets.
- Two years of the UPA: The good,
the bad and the ugly, May 2006. kw -
Economic policy of UPA.
- What Arjun should focus on, 16 May
2006. kw - Education, SSA.
- The fall of stock markets: A global
Express, 23 May 2006. kw - stock markets, inflation,
- Licence Raj in
Education, 21 May 2006. kw - education, permits, licences.
- Why Amma worries,
Buddha doesn't, 10 May 2006. kw - State elections, growth rates.
- Growth, poverty and
employment in states, Financial Express, 9 May 2006. kw -
poverty, employment, convergence, states.
- Employment exchanges,
3 May 2006. kw - employment exchanges.
- Cleaning up the IPO market, 2
May 2006. kw - SEBI, IPO.
- Monsoon forecast, 26
April 2006. kw - Monsoon, business cycles, GDP.
- Managing expectations,
Express, 25 April 2006. kw - monetary policy, expectations.
- Needed, a deep and liquid
bond market, Financial Express, 11 April 2006. kw - debt
- Impact of SBI strike, 7 April
2006. kw - SBI, deposits, cheques, ATMs.
- RBI: Red Brigade of
India, 30 March 2006. kw - capital account convertibility, RBI.
- The euphoria over
savings rate, Financial Express, 28 March 2006. kw -
savings, investment, current account, public savings.
- Gained in Translation on capital
account convertibility, 23 March 2006. kw - capital account
- How provident is this fund?,
10 March 2006. kw - excluded provident funds, EPFO.
- Budget 2006, March 1, 2006. kw
- Budget 2006.
- State of the fiscal Union,
27 February 2006. kw - budget speech.
- More funds for secondary
level, but can the government spent it well?, 16 February
2006. kw - secondary education.
- A future of their own,
3 February, 2006. kw - tiger conservation, tribal bill.
- Why FM won't remove India Inc's FBT
headache, 12 January, 2006. kw - fringe benefit tax, income tax.
- Whose policy is it anyway?,
28 January, 2006. kw - RBI, interest rate, hike.
- Fate worse than jail for Telgi,
19 January, 2006. kw - stamp paper, scam.
- Listen, Mr Chidambaram,
12 January, 2006. kw - tax exemption, budget.
- DTH: Direct from government?,
28 December, 2005. kw - cable TV.
- Subsidy on icecream, anyone?,
9 December, 2005. kw - EPF, interest rate.
- Who killed Manjunath?,
28 November, 2005.
- Bihar reloaded. Hope Floats in a Basket Case,
23 November, 2005. kw - Laloo, Nitish Kumar.
- Dangers - Bharat Nirman,
20 November, 2005. kw - infrastructure, highways.
- Gained in Translation. Ben Bernanke,
4 November, 2005. kw - Fed Chairman, Alan Greenspan.
- India, single national market,
26 October, 2005. kw - Kelkar, VAT, GST.
- The English language and India's working population,
14 October, 2005. kw - globalisation.
- A driving licence in 50 minutes and all legal,
11 October, 2005.
- What is wrong with exisiting pension schemes and how the NPS offers a
8 October, 2005. kw - civil servants, EPFO, EPS.
- ABC of stock market manipulation,
1 October, 2005. kw - stock price, speculation.
- An immature market economy,
23 September, 2005. kw - stock market.
- Car import racket,
17 September, 2005. kw - car, customs, duties.
- Which Loss Making PSUs should be sold and how,
15 September, 2005. kw - PSUs, Privatisation.
- Outcome budget,
3 September, 2005. kw - outcome budget, spending.
- A cost benefit analysis of saving the tiger,
25 August, 2005. kw - project tiger.
- EGA: The best anti-poverty programme or the biggest scam?,
19 August, 2005. kw - Employment Guarantee Act.
- Restrictions on capital inflows,
17 August, 2005. kw - foreign capital, inflows.
- The revaluation of the
Chinese yuan and the implications for India, 1 August
2005. kw - China, currency.
- A power less exotic,
27 July, 2005. kw - Nuclear energy
- Dispelling the Spookes about Nukes,
25 July, 2005. kw - Nuclear energy
- Responding to global warming,
8 July, 2005. kw - Kyoto Protocol , global warming.
- Turn the clock back,
7 July, 2005. kw - IDA, FERA, MRTP.
- Will interest rates go
up?, Financial Express, 4 July, 2005. kw -
monetary policy, interest rates.
- Sensex up,but not the sentiment,
11 June, 2005. kw - stock prices,P/E ratio
- Close down redundant
ministries, Financial Express, 6 June, 2005. kw -
ministry, commerce, steel.
- The mystery of capital,
30 May, 2005. kw - SEBI, UBS.
- On the common man's credit,
6 May, 2005. kw - Saving Deposit.
- Evidence on trade union and EPF membership,
5 May, 2005. kw - trade union members, EPF rate.
- States join queue for new pension, but Bill hangs,
2 May, 2005. kw - New Pension Scheme.
- Don't be shy about FII,
28 April, 2005. kw - FII.
- It takes too long to start business
in India, longer than in the region, 27 April, 2005. kw - World Bank Study.
- First savings survey shows majority have no retirement nest egg,
27 April, 2005. kw - Pensions.
- How the Left pensioned off the aam admi,
25 April, 2005. kw - Pensions bill.
- Get young Indians to pay for old Europeans,
11 April, 2005. kw - OECD countries, income tax.
- Please, will you step into my
parlour?, Financial Express, 11 April, 2005. kw -
- Fear of floating,
21 March, 2005. kw - Exchange Rate.
- For successful pension
regulation, Financial Express, 14 March, 2005. kw -
- Some Cheer In These Taxing Times,
1 March, 2005. kw - Budget, tax.
- Finding the money for a social conscience,
28 February, 2005. kw - Budget 2005.
- Long-term strategy for Budget 2005
Express, 28 February, 2005. kw - Budget 2005.
- Let the iron rooster take wing,
26 February, 2005. kw - Railway Budget.
- Look beyond General stereotypes,
23 February, 2005. kw - Budget, Pakistan.
- No gimmicks, please,
20 February, 2005. kw - Budget, Taxes.
- Here's to Budget 2005,
12 February, 2005. kw - Budget, Tax reforms.
- Market takes a stand on Sebi chair,
(with Gautam Cikarmane), 29 january, 2005. kw - SEBI.
- Learning from Mayurbhanj,
21 January, 2005. kw - EGA.
- Oh VAT a lovely tax,
19 January, 2005. kw - VAT, Budget.
- VAT's the good word for Budget 2005
Express, 17 January, 2005. kw - VAT.
- From India on move, a reverse signal,
13 January, 2005. kw - RBI, FII.
- From supercyclone, Orissa has seven tips for Black Sunday relief,
7 January, 2005. kw - Tsunami, relief.
- Here, food for work does mean food & work,
2 January, 2005. kw - Employment Guarantee Act
- Reserving all judgement,
20 December, 2004. kw - Private Sector, RBI.
- Have accountability in forex management
Express, 20 December, 2004. kw - Forex reserve, RBI.
- Day of declining dollar,
18 December, 2004. kw - Currency, RBI.
- Dollars dollars everywhere but not
very much to buy, (Part-II) 1 December, 2004. kw - Foreign
- Reserving currency to go shopping
abroad, (Part-I) 29 November, 2004. kw - Foreign Exchange
- When oil and oil don't mix,
22 November, 2004. kw - PSU, Banks, Merger.
- Public Sector capitalism,
10 November, 2004. kw - PSU, Ministries.
- Oil the economy's problems, 6
November, 2004. kw - Crude Oil.
- Monetary policy: Make the process
open, Financial Express, 25 October, 2004. kw -
Credit policy, Repo rate.
- RBI's pride, India's dilemma,
25 October, 2004. kw - Forex Reserves, RBI.
- Confessions of a recent Linux convert,
18 October, 2004. kw - Linux, Operating System.
- Govt can reap Rs 79,000-cr harvest, Left won't mind,
6 October, 2004. kw - Disinvestment.
- Bad examples of India abroad,
5 October, 2004. kw - Export.
- Kelkar's one-stop solution for fiscal woes,
(with Rahul Pathak), 3 October, 2004. kw - Goods & Services Tax.
- Kelkar has a parting shot: Reforms
should begin at home, in Finance Ministry, (with Rahul Pathak), 1
October, 2004. kw - Kelkar, Taxes.
- It is pointless to fake exports,
Financial Express, 30 September, 2004. kw - Exports,
- Strike one for privatisation,
22 September, 2004. kw - Privatisation, PSU Banks.
- Beware of lazy banker,
20 September, 2004. kw - Interset Rate, Bonds, Risk.
- Five minutes to understanding CRR,
19 September, 2004. kw - Cash Reserve Ratio.
- As Indians age fast, get ready
for more pensioners, more tax burden, 19 September
2004. kw - EPFO.
- A run for your bank,
16 September, 2004. kw - PSU Banks, NPA.
- The bank's a private matter,
15 September, 2004. kw - PSU Banks, Privatisation.
- No one's talking of this hole in
Govt's pension poceket: Rs. 17,500 crore, 9
September,2004. kw - Provident Fund.
The civil servants' pension scheme to the poor,
Financial Express, 8 September, 2004. kw - Pension,
- There's a hole in the bucket, 8
September 2004. kw - Provident Fund.
- The animal spirits of the new
entrepreneur, 30 August 2004. kw - Public Sector,
- Your guide to share and bonds, 24
August 2004. kw - Shares & Bonds.
- Stock market: basics, 21
August 2004. kw - Stock Market.
- Lost in interest, (with Navika
Kumar), 18 August 2004. kw -Provident Fund, Civil Servants
- Cess in a cesspool, 13 August 2004.
kw - Education Expenditure, Education Vouchers, Enrolment,
Drop Out Rates, CMP.
- But consumers aren't complaining,
13 August 2004. kw - Inflation, CPI, WPI.
- Drought proofing India,
9 August 2004. kw - Business Cycles in India, Monsoon Cycles.
- Inflation, 7 August 2004. kw - Inflation.
- Depreciation rates and India Inc's taxes,
6 August 2004. kw - Kelkar Task Force.
- Troubled by trade,
1 August 2004. kw - Book Review, Globalisation, Jagdish Bhagwati.
- High stakes for service tax,
29 July 2004. kw - GDP, VAT.
- Brave new world for exporters,
28 July 2004. kw - Custom Rate, VAT.
- Tax buoyancy: Devils in the details,
27 July 2004. kw - Tax Buoyancy, GDP.
- Tax revolution way to zero deficit, Govt told,
24 July 2004. kw - VAT, Tax.
- 7 steps to preventing EPF abuse,
20 July 2004. kw -Provident Fund, Interest Rate, Tax
- Turn over this tax, 19 July
2004. kw - Stock Markets, Turnover Tax.
- Chidambaram's budget lacks
vision for refrorms, Financial Express, 9 July
2004. kw - Financial Budget 2004-05, GDP.
- He s banking on 24% hike in tax
revenue, question: will that happen?, 9 July 2004. kw
- Optimistic Revenue Projections. kw - Financial Budget
- Tuning in to FM, his budget, 8 July,
2004. kw - Budget.
- The ABC of EPFO, 8 July, 2004. kw -
- Railway budget, 7 July
2004. kw - Railway Budget, 2004-05.
- Food Policy, 2 July 2004. kw
- Cereals, Non-cereals.
- What Next On Interest Rates,
Financial Express, 25 June 2004. kw - Interset Rate, GDP.
- VAT, 24 June, 2004. kw - VAT.
2004, Business Standard
- Cutting deficits,
16 June 2004.
kw - fiscal deficit, budget, taxes,Keynesian policies.
- Riding the cycle,
2 June 2004.
kw - business cycles in India, monsoon cycles, exports, investment.
- Is the stock market a barometer of
the economy,The Times of India, 23 May 2004.
kw - stock markets, economic performance.
- Its the market, stupid,
19 May 2004.
kw - election, left, stock markets, investment, Black Monday.
- The USD quagmire,
5 May 2004.
kw - Forex reverves of China and Japan, US economy.
- A change in course?,
7 April 2004.
kw - currency regime, exchange rate volatility, central banks that lie.
- Looking beyond Mr. Joshi,
17 Mar 2004.
kw - higher education.
- Dining with the devil,
3 Mar 2004.
kw - currency policy, sterilised intervention, reverse
- Feeding an elephant,
18 Feb 2004.
kw - currency policy, sterilised intervention, quasi-fical costs,
monetary stabilization fund.
is an old story with new critics,
The Asian Wall Street
Journal, 13-15 Feb 2004. kw - outsourcing,
- Fiscal implications of the DA merger,
Times, 9 Feb 2004.
kw - DA merger, fiscal impact.
- Fiscal Consolidation,
5 Feb 2004.
kw - fiscal deficit, anti-cyclical fiscal policy.
- What next with GDP growth?,
21 Jan 2004.
kw - sustainability of GDP growth, investment.
- RBI tries to hang on,
7 Jan 2004.
kw - currency policy, sterilised intervention, reverse
- Feel bad factor
17 Dec 2003.
kw - Fiscal deficit, public goods.
- Getting governance right
1 Dec 2003.
kw - Governance, public goods.
- Back to the 1970s
19 Nov 2003.
kw - ECB guidelines, capital inflows, inspector raj.
- 8 percent tariff for 8 percent growth
5 Nov 2003.
kw - custom duties, reserves, capital inflows.
- Trade deficit: Boon or bane?
15 Oct 2003.
kw - current account deficit, development strategy, capital
- Outlook for credit policy, 1 Oct 2003.
kw - credit policy, interest rates.
- Quasi-fiscal costs, 17 Sept 2003.
kw - sterilized intervention, currency regime, monetary policy.
- Dr Jalan's dilemmas, 2 Sept 2003.
kw - currency regime, open capital account, impossible trinity.
- Should ECB norms be relaxed, Economic
Times, 20 August 2003. kw - capital inflows, interest rates,
- Lazy bankers, 13 August 2003.
kw - yield curve, interest rate risk, credit monitoring.
- What next at RBI, 30 July 2003.
kw - Y. V. Reddy, currency regime, capital inflows.
- Creative Destruction, 16 July 2003.
kw - PCO/STD booths, labour market flexibility.
- A change in course?, 1 July 2003.
kw - currency regime, sterilized intervention, floating exchange
review: Seeking Social Justice through Globalization by Gavin
Kitching, International Studies, Volume 40, No.3, July-September
2003, kw- globalization of financial markets, gains from trade.
- No rate cut, 18 June 2003.
kw - exchange rate regime, interest rate differentials.
- What next on interest rates?, 4 June 2003.
kw - currency volatility, interest rate volatility.
- Enter the dragon?, 14 May 2003.
kw - India's trade with China and Hong Kong.
- The visible hand, 30 April 2003. kw -
review of Saving capitalism from the capitalists, by
Raghuram Rajan and Luigi Zingales.
- Making Indian banks safer,
16 April 2003. kw - banks, interest rate derivatives, interest
rate risk, interest rate futures launch.
- Higher oil prices?,
2 April 2003. kw - iraq war, India's vulnerability to higher
- Contractionary Fiscal policy,
19 March 2003. kw - budget, fiscal policy.
- The silver lining?,
5 March 2003. kw - pension proposals in the budget .
- Which ministries should get the axe?,
29 January 2003. kw - public expenditure, public goods, fiscal
- How safe are Indian banks?,
15 January 2003. kw - banks, interest rate risk.
- Who will pay for local services?,
1 January 2003. kw - local government, public spending, taxes.
- Interest rate risk in Indian banks,
January 2003, moneycontrol.com, kw - interest rate risk, banks.
- Signs of revival: Evidence from imports,
January 2003, moneycontrol.com, kw - growth in imports.
- Political economy of interest
rates, 18 December 2002. kw - saving, tax exemptions, market
- Reserves as insurance: Money
Back or Life?, 4 December 2002. kw - foreign exchange
reserves, reserves management, investment.
- Bill Gates: Friend or Foe?,
20 November 2002. kw - Microsoft, free software, monopoly.
- Is the rupee undervalued ,
7 November 2002. kw - currency, real exchange rate, productivity.
- Run up to the credit policy ,
17 October 2002. kw - credit policy, interest rates, crr,
- Why they think we are junk ,
2 October 2002. kw - India credit rating, rupee debt, fiscal adjustment.
- Fiscal impact of bail-outs ,
4 September 2002. kw - bail-out, financial institutions, UTI, NPA .
- Drought Management ,
7 August 2002. kw - rainfall, drought, gdp growth projections .
- Can the Indian economy grow at 8 per
cent?, 21 July 2002 The Times of India. kw - growth,
- The road ahead for the new FM ,
3 July 2002. kw - corruption, excise duties, expenditure.
- Special Group vs Task Force ,
5 June 2002. kw - employment, labour laws .
- Book review: Economics of Chance,
, 18 May 2002. Outlook. kw - Book review of Glimpses of
Indian Economic Policy - An insider by I. G. Patel.
- Has the bank rate bottomed out ,
8 May 2002. kw - interest rates.
- An embarrassment of riches ,
10 April 2002. kw - foreign exchange reserves, reserve adequacy.
- Is the Budget milking the
salaried class dry , 17 March 2002. The Times of
India. kw - Income tax, tax incentives, provident fund.
- Zoellick versus Bush ,
13 March 2002. kw - steel industry, protection, US trade policy .
- Horses for courses ,
20 February 2002. kw - tax exemptions, Shome committee, Reddy committee.
- Heads in the sand ,
8 February 2002. kw - Real exchange rate, REER, currency,
exchange rate management.
- Consumer key to growth, 02 February
2002 The Times of India. kw - Income tax,tax incentives, provident
fund, consumer demand.
- When a leopard changes spots ,
23 January 2002. kw - Report on Currency and Finance, inflation,
- Book Review: A job half done ,
14 January 2002. kw - Book review of Development and Finance by
M. Narasimham .
- Book Review: Asian Crisis
Revisited , 12-18 January 2002. Economic and Political
Weekly kw - Book review of The East Asian Currency
Crisis by Mihir Rakshit.
- How to read tea leaves ,
9 January 2002. kw - business cycles, leading indicators.
- What causes prosperity and collapse?,
27 December 2001. kw - Review of Indian Economic Review's
Special Issue on Business Cycles.
- An investment revival? ,
13 December 2001. kw - investment expenditure .
- Reform job partly done ,26 December
2001. kw - Book review of Protection in Indian Manufacturing:
An Empirical Study by Hasheem Nouroz.
- For appearances sake ,24
November 2001. kw - CRR, credit, reserve money.
- Languishing social sector,
7 November 2001. kw - health, education, income .
- Me safe you sorry , 24 October
2001. kw - RBI, liquidity, monetary policy.
- Come into my parlour, 27 September
2001. kw - China's entry into WTO.
- The dark side of the moon,
2001. kw - unemployment, capital-labour ratio.
- Yashwant Sinha's totem-pole,
26 July 2001. kw - GDP growth rate, monsoon.
- Few signs of recovery , 12 July
2001. kw - growth, deficit.
- Old habits die hard , 6 June
2001. kw - industrial growth, demand .
- To worry or not to worry , 23 May
2001. kw - GDP growth, data revisions.
- From GDP to PDY in 16 easy steps , 9
May 2001. kw - National income accounting.
- India's new business cycle , 25
April 2001. kw - business cycles, exchange rate policy .
- Heterogeneity of Ideas ,
16 April 2001. kw - Book Review of Contemporary
Macroeconomics by Amitava Bose et.al.
- The case against a rate cut ,
11 April 2001. kw - bank rate, monetary policy.
- How about swadeshi savings ,
12 March 2001. kw - domestic savings.
- Will the surcharge go ,
March 2001, India-today.com, kw - budget, income tax surcharge.
- Stroking sentiment ,
26 January 2001, Times of India, kw - budget, business confidence.
- What is a positive environment? ,
25 January 2001. kw - bank rate, investment .
- Of onions, oil and inflation ,
Sharekhan.com, 25 January 2001.
- Budget to step up aggregate demand ,
Sharekhan.com, 1 March 2001.
- Try debt, dear Henry, try debt ,
Sharekhan.com, March 2001.
- The hand of god ,
Sharekhan.com, March 2001.kw-revising IIP data.
- Railways in the red ,
- Behaving responsibly ,
- The credit policy: Deja vu ,
Sharekhan.com, April 2001.
- Is the worst over? ,
- My share of the cake ,
- PPF rate cut ,
- What's worrying you
Mr. Governor, 26 December 2000. kw - foreign exchange
reserves, reserve adequacy.
- Who is afraid of Chinese imports?,
26 November 2000. kw - manufactured imports, China.
- Where has all the credit gone,
31 October 2000. kw - bank credit, oil prices, imports.
- Monetary Policy in uncertain times,
11 October 2000. kw - inflation, forecast, money.
- Coming of age for social capital,
8 September 2000. kw - social capital.
- Does the RBI know what it wants?,
14 August 2000. kw - monetary policy.
- Bon Apertif,
28 June 2000. kw - Book review of Issues in Financial sector
reforms by S.S.Tarapore.
- RBI has struck the right note,
6 June 2000. kw - monetary policy.
- Legalising Cricket betting will
encourage match fixing, 3 May 2000. kw - betting.
- Surprising Naivete on Tax
Havens, 11 April 2000. kw - double taxation treaties.
- Good News for Importers, 30 March
2000. kw - exchange rate, imports.
- Sawal Sau crore ka ,
Sharekhan.com, 13 December 2000.
- Between a rock and a hard place ,
Sharekhan.com, 20 December 2000.
- Paying for Mum and Dad ,
Sharekhan.com, 27 December 2000.
Back up to Ila Patnaik's home page