Ila Patnaik writing for the mass media
2000-mid 2004 This
was mostly my alternate-Wednesdays column in Business Standard.,
unless stated otherwise.
- Cutting deficits,
16 June 2004.
kw - fiscal deficit, budget, taxes,Keynesian policies.
- Riding the cycle,
2 June 2004.
kw - business cycles in India, monsoon cycles, exports, investment.
- Is the stock market a barometer of
the economy,The Times of India, 23 May 2004.
kw - stock markets, economic performance.
- Its the market, stupid,
19 May 2004.
kw - election, left, stock markets, investment, Black Monday.
- The USD quagmire,
5 May 2004.
kw - Forex reverves of China and Japan, US economy.
- A change in course?,
7 April 2004.
kw - currency regime, exchange rate volatility, central banks that lie.
- Looking beyond Mr. Joshi,
17 Mar 2004.
kw - higher education.
- Dining with the devil,
3 Mar 2004.
kw - currency policy, sterilised intervention, reverse
- Feeding an elephant,
18 Feb 2004.
kw - currency policy, sterilised intervention, quasi-fical costs,
monetary stabilization fund.
is an old story with new critics,
The Asian Wall Street
Journal, 13-15 Feb 2004. kw - outsourcing,
- Fiscal implications of the DA merger,
Times, 9 Feb 2004.
kw - DA merger, fiscal impact.
- Fiscal Consolidation,
5 Feb 2004.
kw - fiscal deficit, anti-cyclical fiscal policy.
- What next with GDP growth?,
21 Jan 2004.
kw - sustainability of GDP growth, investment.
- RBI tries to hang on,
7 Jan 2004.
kw - currency policy, sterilised intervention, reverse
- Feel bad factor
17 Dec 2003.
kw - Fiscal deficit, public goods.
- Getting governance right
1 Dec 2003.
kw - Governance, public goods.
- Back to the 1970s
19 Nov 2003.
kw - ECB guidelines, capital inflows, inspector raj.
- 8 percent tariff for 8 percent growth
5 Nov 2003.
kw - custom duties, reserves, capital inflows.
- Trade deficit: Boon or bane?
15 Oct 2003.
kw - current account deficit, development strategy, capital
- Outlook for credit policy, 1 Oct 2003.
kw - credit policy, interest rates.
- Quasi-fiscal costs, 17 Sept 2003.
kw - sterilized intervention, currency regime, monetary policy.
- Dr Jalan's dilemmas, 2 Sept 2003.
kw - currency regime, open capital account, impossible trinity.
- Should ECB norms be relaxed, Economic
Times, 20 August 2003. kw - capital inflows, interest rates,
- Lazy bankers, 13 August 2003.
kw - yield curve, interest rate risk, credit monitoring.
- What next at RBI, 30 July 2003.
kw - Y. V. Reddy, currency regime, capital inflows.
- Creative Destruction, 16 July 2003.
kw - PCO/STD booths, labour market flexibility.
- A change in course?, 1 July 2003.
kw - currency regime, sterilized intervention, floating exchange
review: Seeking Social Justice through Globalization by Gavin
Kitching, International Studies, Volume 40, No.3, July-September
2003, kw- globalization of financial markets, gains from trade.
- No rate cut, 18 June 2003.
kw - exchange rate regime, interest rate differentials.
- What next on interest rates?, 4 June 2003.
kw - currency volatility, interest rate volatility.
- Enter the dragon?, 14 May 2003.
kw - India's trade with China and Hong Kong.
- The visible hand, 30 April 2003. kw -
review of Saving capitalism from the capitalists, by
Raghuram Rajan and Luigi Zingales.
- Making Indian banks safer,
16 April 2003. kw - banks, interest rate derivatives, interest
rate risk, interest rate futures launch.
- Higher oil prices?,
2 April 2003. kw - iraq war, India's vulnerability to higher
- Contractionary Fiscal policy,
19 March 2003. kw - budget, fiscal policy.
- The silver lining?,
5 March 2003. kw - pension proposals in the budget .
- Which ministries should get the axe?,
29 January 2003. kw - public expenditure, public goods, fiscal
- How safe are Indian banks?,
15 January 2003. kw - banks, interest rate risk.
- Who will pay for local services?,
1 January 2003. kw - local government, public spending, taxes.
- Interest rate risk in Indian banks,
January 2003, moneycontrol.com, kw - interest rate risk, banks.
- Signs of revival: Evidence from imports,
January 2003, moneycontrol.com, kw - growth in imports.
- Political economy of interest
rates, 18 December 2002. kw - saving, tax exemptions, market
- Reserves as insurance: Money
Back or Life?, 4 December 2002. kw - foreign exchange
reserves, reserves management, investment.
- Bill Gates: Friend or Foe?,
20 November 2002. kw - Microsoft, free software, monopoly.
- Is the rupee undervalued ,
7 November 2002. kw - currency, real exchange rate, productivity.
- Run up to the credit policy ,
17 October 2002. kw - credit policy, interest rates, crr,
- Why they think we are junk ,
2 October 2002. kw - India credit rating, rupee debt, fiscal adjustment.
- Fiscal impact of bail-outs ,
4 September 2002. kw - bail-out, financial institutions, UTI, NPA .
- Drought Management ,
7 August 2002. kw - rainfall, drought, gdp growth projections .
- Can the Indian economy grow at 8 per
cent?, 21 July 2002 The Times of India. kw - growth,
- The road ahead for the new FM ,
3 July 2002. kw - corruption, excise duties, expenditure.
- Special Group vs Task Force ,
5 June 2002. kw - employment, labour laws .
- Book review: Economics of Chance,
, 18 May 2002. Outlook. kw - Book review of Glimpses of
Indian Economic Policy - An insider by I. G. Patel.
- Has the bank rate bottomed out ,
8 May 2002. kw - interest rates.
- An embarrassment of riches ,
10 April 2002. kw - foreign exchange reserves, reserve adequacy.
- Is the Budget milking the
salaried class dry , 17 March 2002. The Times of
India. kw - Income tax, tax incentives, provident fund.
- Zoellick versus Bush ,
13 March 2002. kw - steel industry, protection, US trade policy .
- Horses for courses ,
20 February 2002. kw - tax exemptions, Shome committee, Reddy committee.
- Heads in the sand ,
8 February 2002. kw - Real exchange rate, REER, currency,
exchange rate management.
- Consumer key to growth, 02 February
2002 The Times of India. kw - Income tax,tax incentives, provident
fund, consumer demand.
- When a leopard changes spots ,
23 January 2002. kw - Report on Currency and Finance, inflation,
- Book Review: A job half done ,
14 January 2002. kw - Book review of Development and Finance by
M. Narasimham .
- Book Review: Asian Crisis
Revisited , 12-18 January 2002. Economic and Political
Weekly kw - Book review of The East Asian Currency
Crisis by Mihir Rakshit.
- How to read tea leaves ,
9 January 2002. kw - business cycles, leading indicators.
- What causes prosperity and collapse?,
27 December 2001. kw - Review of Indian Economic Review's
Special Issue on Business Cycles.
- An investment revival? ,
13 December 2001. kw - investment expenditure .
- Reform job partly done ,26 December
2001. kw - Book review of Protection in Indian Manufacturing:
An Empirical Study by Hasheem Nouroz.
- For appearances sake ,24
November 2001. kw - CRR, credit, reserve money.
- Languishing social sector,
7 November 2001. kw - health, education, income .
- Me safe you sorry , 24 October
2001. kw - RBI, liquidity, monetary policy.
- Come into my parlour, 27 September
2001. kw - China's entry into WTO.
- The dark side of the moon,
2001. kw - unemployment, capital-labour ratio.
- Yashwant Sinha's totem-pole,
26 July 2001. kw - GDP growth rate, monsoon.
- Few signs of recovery , 12 July
2001. kw - growth, deficit.
- Old habits die hard , 6 June
2001. kw - industrial growth, demand .
- To worry or not to worry , 23 May
2001. kw - GDP growth, data revisions.
- From GDP to PDY in 16 easy steps , 9
May 2001. kw - National income accounting.
- India's new business cycle , 25
April 2001. kw - business cycles, exchange rate policy .
- Heterogeneity of Ideas ,
16 April 2001. kw - Book Review of Contemporary
Macroeconomics by Amitava Bose et.al.
- The case against a rate cut ,
11 April 2001. kw - bank rate, monetary policy.
- How about swadeshi savings ,
12 March 2001. kw - domestic savings.
- Will the surcharge go ,
March 2001, India-today.com, kw - budget, income tax surcharge.
- Stroking sentiment ,
26 January 2001, Times of India, kw - budget, business confidence.
- What is a positive environment? ,
25 January 2001. kw - bank rate, investment .
- Of onions, oil and inflation ,
Sharekhan.com, 25 January 2001.
- Budget to step up aggregate demand ,
Sharekhan.com, 1 March 2001.
- Try debt, dear Henry, try debt ,
Sharekhan.com, March 2001.
- The hand of god ,
Sharekhan.com, March 2001.kw-revising IIP data.
- Railways in the red ,
- Behaving responsibly ,
- The credit policy: Deja vu ,
Sharekhan.com, April 2001.
- Is the worst over? ,
- My share of the cake ,
- PPF rate cut ,
- What's worrying you
Mr. Governor, 26 December 2000. kw - foreign exchange
reserves, reserve adequacy.
- Who is afraid of Chinese imports?,
26 November 2000. kw - manufactured imports, China.
- Where has all the credit gone,
31 October 2000. kw - bank credit, oil prices, imports.
- Monetary Policy in uncertain times,
11 October 2000. kw - inflation, forecast, money.
- Coming of age for social capital,
8 September 2000. kw - social capital.
- Does the RBI know what it wants?,
14 August 2000. kw - monetary policy.
- Bon Apertif,
28 June 2000. kw - Book review of Issues in Financial sector
reforms by S.S.Tarapore.
- RBI has struck the right note,
6 June 2000. kw - monetary policy.
- Legalising Cricket betting will
encourage match fixing, 3 May 2000. kw - betting.
- Surprising Naivete on Tax
Havens, 11 April 2000. kw - double taxation treaties.
- Good News for Importers, 30 March
2000. kw - exchange rate, imports.
- Sawal Sau crore ka ,
Sharekhan.com, 13 December 2000.
- Between a rock and a hard place ,
Sharekhan.com, 20 December 2000.
- Paying for Mum and Dad ,
Sharekhan.com, 27 December 2000.
Back up to Ila Patnaik's media page