Electronic Resources of the Internet

subject to change: 2001-12-28

This document is available in PDF format for US letter size paper and for A4 size paper. Do not print out this web page, you will get an incomplete document.

Course Description

Today, most electronic resources are available on or via the Internet. In the past, a course on such resources would have covered the main ones in some detail. Such an approach seems to be inappropriate now that there are so many resources. Limiting the course to listing and learning to use resources seems be not intellectually challenging enough for a graduate course.

The course will cover history of Internet resources, and cover some search engines and directories.

This course will not be providing students with an introduction to the Internet as such. This is covered in LIS565.

Course objectives

On completing this course, students


Students should have a basic command stardard Internet applications such as a web browser and an email client.


Thomas Krichel
Palmer School of Library and Information Science
C.W. Post Campus of Long Island University
720 Northern Boulevard
Brookville, NY 11548-1300
work phone: +1-(516)299-2843

Private contact details may be obtained from the online CV.

Class structure

Classes will be held on Sunday afternoon between 16:00 and 18:30 at the Manhattan site.

There will be a mixture of lectures and hands-on work in the lab. Provisional class details are:

2001-09-08 no class
2001-09-15 no class
0 2001-09-23 Introductory class
1 2001-09-30 email lists I
2 2001-10-07 email list II
3 2001-10-14 usenet news
4 2001-10-21 the dmoz project
5 2001-10-28 comparative resource guides
6 2001-11-04 search engines: google
7 2001-11-11 comparative search engines
8 2001-11-18 software resources
2001-11-25 no class
9 2001-12-02 file sharing
10 2001-12-09 digital libraries
12 2001-12-16 no class


Not too surprisingly, most of the reading that we will do will be found on the Internet! The instructor will list main resources that he used to prepare the class. He will also distribute printed copies of his slides for students to scribble on.


Some classses will have a , except for the first class. This will either be a ten-minute mini exam, or a very short paper or file to be handed in. The unweighted average of these exams will make for 75% of the grade. The remaining 25% will be made be a 1500 word essay on a topic of the student's choice that has met the approval of the instructor. This essay has to be handed in before the last class. It is recommended to use the themes discussed in the beginning of the course as the topic for the essay.

Valid XHTML 1.0!